What do you do when the facts say no but you really want to anyway?
One of the biggest challenges for new businesses and sometimes existing business owners
too is that they lack the attitude to give the business the time and attention to the research of needs and the building of a fan base.
If your business fails to clearly find those needs and build the connections then you really have not developed a platform to build a business on.
In real estate, insurance and many forms of consulting, the key is to build a list before you start of your business. Experience shows that without that list of contacts, you really do need to stop.
Business is about people and meeting the needs of people. Without the people, your business is unable to exist. Even the greatest recluse needs people even if remotely.
So when the facts say no, check out the following;
- What are the facts relating to?
- Do the facts relate to people and their needs?
- Do the facts have anything to do with people?
- Do the facts have anything to do with you?
Rather than the facts, it is what you do with the facts that matter. Facts are open to interpretation and manipulation. Different people see different things when they see certain facts so make sure that what you look at is people related.
Oh and a word of warning – people rarely are fact based. Most are emotional being for which many businesses are truly grateful because at the end of the day, emotionals spark more spending than logical does.
Today, what are the people facts affecting your decisions? In the comments box, share any time in your life when you have ignored the facts to support people.
To your future
While this too shall pass, its what happens after it passes that matters.
As a Baby Boomer, one thing I see in life, fashion and business is that things change but in changing they often come back to what used to be. To me that means that while technology advances and there are new ways of doing things, people really still want and need the same things that we have needed since we were first created.
- We want certainty/ comfort – freedom from pain while enjoying pleasure, security and survival
- But we also want uncertainty/variety – the sense of surprise, diversity, difference, challenge and most importantly excitement
- We need to be significant. We want to be unique and special.
- But we also need connection and love. This includes personal connection as well as with others.
- We all want to grow because we all know that there are only two states in nature – green and growing or rip and rotten.
- We all want to contribute. We know that when we give we experience joy and fulfilment.
What does this mean in starting a business?
It means that no matter what our age or station in life, we all want to make a difference without being ridiculed or bullied.
We want to keep growing and experiencing things but we want to give back.
And we all want to be all that we can be.
And that means that opportunity abounds for business owners who have learned the balance of these six needs.
It means that the experience of dealing with different people is valuable.
It means that tomorrow is another day and today is for enjoying and being fulfilled because it too will pass.
What would you do today if you knew absolutely that you could not fail?
Please share your activity in the comments box below.
To your growthRead More
Coming up with the ideas is easy but making money from the idea is the real challenge.
Here are 7 keys you need to answer.
- Who are the end users?
- What does meeting the need look like?
- When do they need it?
- Where do they use it?
- Why do they need it?
- How will they use it?
- What is it worth to them?
Once you have the answer to these questions you will be able to take your ideas and make money from them.
Let’s look at a few examples.
Steve Jobs and the iphone. He knew who the end users were. He understood what meeting their need looked like and he created the when and where. As for the why – well when you can rig a demonstration to convince people that without the product they will miss out on something, then getting them to buy is easy but he still kept the price at a reasonable level.
Lets look at V or any of the energy drinks. They went through the same process. Who wanted them – think of all those people who just want to go from work to play to work again. Then follow the trail.
Look at fashion related items and you see the similar pattern.
If you want to introduce your idea to the market and truly earn money, you need to work through these steps PLUS you need just a smidgeon of luck (labor under correct know-how) to reach the market in the right time given your promotional budget.
In the comments please let me know if you would be interested in a webinar series to learn more about this concept.
To Your future success
In business, in life, in marriage and in relationships the key to success is COMMITMENT!
But what do you commit to when you go into business? And more importantly how do you
commit in a way that moves you forward instead of backwards.
The first commitment is TIME.
- Time to do the research.
- Time to make contacts
- Time to develop product, service and offerings including brochures, web page, social presence, press releases and all the other marketing collateral that potential clients need to think about in using you.
- Time to meet potential clients and build a relationship to convert them into clients
- Time for the market to find you, trust you and buy from you repeatedly or at least refer others to you.
The second is MONEY
- Money to invest in your living expenses until the business earns money
- Money to invest in promotion
- Money for mentors, support people and information
- Money to learn more about what you are doing
- Money to network
- Business is about people and people buy from people and that means relationships
- You need to commit to building relationships with potential clients, suppliers and supporters
- Your family and colleagues want to know that you are committed to them so that they continue to support you and your ideas
What does it mean when we ask if it is the right time for business?
Right means what?
The Danger of Perfection
When we want to find the right of anything, we are seeking perfection or at least something we can achieve easily.
But in this life, there are no guarantees. There only is this minute and so the right time is the time we take to do it.
We either take the risk and take the time or time flies and we miss achieving or doing or becoming something. We never move from where we are if we always fret about the rightness of the time, situation or idea.
The Energy of Commitment
Can you remember a time when your passion was high and you committed to a project?
Your energy was high and time seemed to stop. In an hour you accomplished so much. You made fantastic decisions. You got in touch with the people you needed to. You met with the people that you needed to. Every obstacle, road block and stumbling block was easily overcome.
Your enthusiasm and energy ran high. You stopped worrying about time and concentrated on the project. Your heart pumped, your brain was clear and tiredness ….did you ever feel tired?
So is the time right?
There is only ever this moment.
You make a decision to move forward or not. Whatever you decide is RIGHT. But remember that whether you do or whether you don’t, time will pass. You will be older and what will happen to your future.
You control that future. Your response to what happens is the only thing you can control so today, decide that you will make a difference to your future. And that difference may start by just commenting on this blog.
To your future